[ubuntu-uk] Um, why am I blocked from #ubuntu-uk

scoundrel50a scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 07:46:24 UTC 2011

On 24/07/11 08:34, Alan Pope wrote:

>> Another thing, people who were on there the other day, when I was trying to ask about deleting a kernel I had installed on my pc, now I said I had oneiric 3.0.0-o300rc1 oneiric, at the time I couldnt find out where I had installed it from, but I found out now.
>>
> Yes, and this was causing some confusion. There is no such thing as
> 'Oneiric 3.0.0...'. What you have is the Linux Kernel 3.0.0.. built
> for/on Oneiric. It's a subtle difference but important when trying to
> articulate what the issue was.
See, this is where it is confusing, to me that says its Oneiric, where
does it say its Linux, built for/on Oneiric, it doesnt. How am I
supposed to know that? That is why I am confused, which makes it
confusing for everybody else.....

> As I understand it you're running Ubuntu 10.10, and had manually
> installed the Linux 3.0 kernel from the mainline ppa. You did this to
> see if the backlight issue you have is fixed in a later kernel. I
> doubt that repeatedly installing newer kernels will magically fix the
> backlight issue you have.
>
> What probably really needs to be done is to figure out at what point
> the kernel (or whatever) broke the backlight issue. Sometime between
> the kernel supplied with Ubuntu 10.10 and the one supplied with Ubuntu
> 11.04 a change was made which broke it. Finding exactly which change
> (or changes) did that is not easy.

How will that happen, it isnt just my an Acer Aspire thing, its wide
ranging? Plus, I am not installing the kernels to magically fix the
backlight problem, I was trying to use it to see if the back light
problem was fixed. Installing just the kernel is easier than the whole
thing, knowing that I might have to install 10.10 again.I dont want to
have to keep asking.......not when it causes all those problems
everytime I join the channel. There are loads of you, and just one of
me, and its gets very intimidating.......this could be the last Kernel I
will be able to use on this machine, and its almost brand new, when I
say that its 4 months old......

> Al.

John