[ubuntu-uk] Oracle 11g Trouble

Dave Hanson dave at hansonforensics.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 14:00:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Simon Redmond <simon at sibass.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 12:14 +0100, Dave Hanson wrote:
> > I will pay one million pounds if someone can help me with this please!
> > (well, maybe just a thank you).
> >

> > I'm trying to install Oracle 11g R2 on Ubuntu Server 11.04, I have
> > installed (I think) all of the pre-requisites and have downloaded the
> > install files from the oracle site, when I come to run the installer I
> > get:
> >

> > oracle at ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o
> > loop,norock /dev/cdrom /media
> > oracle at ubuntu:~$ /media/runInstaller
> > /media/install/.oui: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
> >

> > I have no idea what that error means? I ran "dmesg | tail" but nothing
> > in there? has anyone else tried to do this and found a work around?
> >

> > [The guide I'm
> > following:
> http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2223719&tstart=0]
> >

> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Dave Hanson
> >

> Is this for a multi user type scenario (ie work) or is just an install
> for you to mess around with?
>
> I tried and tried to get an Oracle install up and running in Ubuntu and
> gave up in the end.  I briefly managed to get it running in CENTOS but
> then I found
>

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html
>
> which is a virtualbox appliance with 11gR2 pre installed and configured
> which what I'm using now for messing around with
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

Thanks guys,

Steve - mine starts with #! /bin/sh, which from some 'googling' tells me
it's a bourne shell, the Ubuntu variant is bash. So does that mean it cannot
be ran on Ubuntu or is it possible to use a different shell?

Simon - It is for now a 'messing' about project but I would like an 'always
on' stable version if possible, I was quite keen to have it running on
Ubuntu server but for now I'll have a look at that VM until I find a
solution.

Best Regards,

Dave Hanson