[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 11.04 64bit and wired network issues.

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:12:34 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

Please excuse my verbosity! I am hoping that the gurus here can point me
in the right direction.

I have been pulling my hair out over a wired networking issue. I have
been using Ubuntu for some time on a variety of older machines. The
experience has always been good!

However, I have recently lashed out on a new box and things aren't so
good. I will outline the problem that I am experiencing and then give
the output from various commands in an attempt to show what the system
comprises of.

My new machine came with Windows 7. I immediately shrunk the partition
and installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and all of the updates until 11.04
64bit appeared. I still gave it a few weeks before upgrading to 11.04.
Under ver. 10.10 my connection to the internet was fine, as too was the
connection across our home network.

Since installing 11.04, the connection to the internet is erratic at
best and non-existant at worst. Downloads drop out indefinitely.
Connections across the home network remain fine.

The new machine connects to the internet and home network under Windows
7 (64 bit) without issue.

We also have two laptops running Linuxmint 11 and Ubuntu 10.10
respectively without issue (Both 32 bit) across the home network. Both
connect to the Internet.

I have googled the issue and cannot find an obvious solution. I
understand that merely 'ignoring' IPv6 in Network Connections is not
always sufficient and have therefore disabled IPV6 by editing
/etc/sysctl.conf and inserting:-
# IPv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

I have reloaded the configuration with sudo sysctl -p and the output
from cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 shows IPv6 disabled.
This has made no difference, if anything the issue is worse! (Nothing
scientific, just a perception!)

This behaviour is replicated with Firefox, Chromium and Opera browsers

I guess that I should give some info about the network here.

The output from hwinfo --netcard follows:

37: PCI 701.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
   [Created at pci.318]
   Unique ID: rBUF.K8HxcuSc1R8
   Parent ID: 6NW+.mTebKEmhWYA
   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:07:01.0
   SysFS BusID: 0000:07:01.0
   Hardware Class: network
   Model: "Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet"
   Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
   Device: pci 0x8167 "RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet"
   SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
   SubDevice: pci 0x820d
   Revision: 0x10
   Driver: "r8169"
   Driver Modules: "r8169"
   Device File: eth0
   I/O Ports: 0xe800-0xe8ff (rw)
   Memory Range: 0xfbeffc00-0xfbeffcff (rw,non-prefetchable)
   Memory Range: 0xfbec0000-0xfbedffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
   IRQ: 19 (79737 events)
   HW Address: bc:ae:c5:1e:99:d3
   Link detected: yes
   Module Alias: "pci:v000010ECd00008167sv00001043sd0000820Dbc02sc00i00"
   Driver Info #0:
     Driver Status: r8169 is active
     Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe r8169"
   Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
   Attached to: #28 (PCI bridge)

In desperation, I have done a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 to no avail.

I will be extremely grateful for any suggestions. I am prepared to try
anything but please treat me as having the skills of a 10 year-old! (Not
entirely true but you may have to use little words!)

Regards,

Bob.