[ubuntu-uk] New network for women advocating, using or developing FLOSS

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 17:50:41 UTC 2011

On 15/07/11 18:40, Paula Graham wrote:
> We're in the throes of setting up 'Flossie' as a space for women who're
> involved in FLOSS in any way - especially advocacy. We're hoping this
> will help us to co-ordinate our advocacy activities a bit better and
> share what works.
>
> We'll be kicking off with an event in November in London so we can have
> a chance to meet and get to know each other a bit and anyone who wants
> to help out with that is very welcome.
>
> The (half-done) blog is here: http://www.flossie.org/
> Sign up for the discussion list here:
>
> I'm afraid it's women-only - not from any will to exclude just under
> half the human race but just cos we can't include one guy and not
> another - so, given that we're less than 3% of the FLOSS population,
> we'd most likely end up with another space where we're a tiny minority.
> It's just a confidence-building thing and not intended to be divisive :)
>
> All women welcome, technical genius not required.
>
> Have a great weekend,
> Paula

Sounds good, I'll pass this on to my local LUG list, there are a couple
of girls on the list, as you say it's pretty male dominated and some
guys can be a bit funny about it, personally I see the girls in my local
LUG as fellow Linux geeks :-)

Good luck with it.  I guess it's okay for us guys to blog about it etc?

Rob