[ubuntu-uk] Adding storage two a Ubuntu server?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 16:53:13 UTC 2011

On 08/07/11 17:39, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 08/07/11 12:48, Alexander Birchall wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I find that a Ubuntu server (Release 11.04(natty) I inherited has
>> available 60 GB of unused space on the hard disk. I would like to expand
>> the existing 40 GB available to the server to incorporate this extra 60
>> GB, but I have so far been unable to do it.
>>
>> Using the Disk Utility on the Adminstration menu, I have been able to
>> create a new partition and drive in the free 60 GB. However, I have to
>> mount this new partition manually, after the server has started. The new
>> partition then appears as an icon resembing a drive on my desktop.
>> I have also used the GPARTED Live CD, but got the same result as above.
>> Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.
>> Many thanks.
>> Alex
>>

> I would suggest looking at LVM, you can create LVM volumes on partitions
> on the disc and then add extra discs to expand the space. I've just done
> this to recover some data from a 1TB hard drive. I don't think it has
> any redundancy though.
>
> Anyway, I used this to get started with LVM...
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
>
> Rob

Doh!  Didn't read the e-mail properly, I'd also suggest the option about
using GParted, boot from the CD, start GParted and hopefully you should
be able to delete the 60GB partition and re-size the existing 40GB
partition.

I believe that GParted is also on the Ubuntu Live CD too, at least I'm
pretty certain it used to be, occasionally came in handy in the past.

Rob