[ubuntu-uk] Adding storage two a Ubuntu server?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 16:39:11 UTC 2011

On 08/07/11 12:48, Alexander Birchall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I find that a Ubuntu server (Release 11.04(natty) I inherited has
> available 60 GB of unused space on the hard disk. I would like to expand
> the existing 40 GB available to the server to incorporate this extra 60
> GB, but I have so far been unable to do it.
>
> Using the Disk Utility on the Adminstration menu, I have been able to
> create a new partition and drive in the free 60 GB. However, I have to
> mount this new partition manually, after the server has started. The new
> partition then appears as an icon resembing a drive on my desktop.
> I have also used the GPARTED Live CD, but got the same result as above.
> Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.
> Many thanks.
> Alex

I would suggest looking at LVM, you can create LVM volumes on partitions
on the disc and then add extra discs to expand the space.  I've just
done this to recover some data from a 1TB hard drive.  I don't think it
has any redundancy though.

Anyway, I used this to get started with LVM...

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Rob