[ubuntu-uk] Adding storage two a Ubuntu server?

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:54:17 UTC 2011

On 8 July 2011 12:48, Alexander Birchall <tengallonhat at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I find that a Ubuntu server (Release 11.04(natty) I inherited has available
> 60 GB of unused space on the hard disk.  I would like to expand the existing
> 40 GB available to the server to incorporate this extra 60 GB, but I have so
> far been unable to do it.

1) To expand:
Use gparted (either on the boot CD or install it from the repo),
delete that new 60GB partition, resize an existing partition to use
the extra space, bingo.

2) To add:
Add the new partition to /etc/fstab. Use sudo blkid to get the UUID of
the new partition and base the line on your /home (or similar).

Jonathon