[ubuntu-uk] hard disk problem ?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Jul 7 20:41:14 UTC 2011

On 07/07/11 08:11, john beddard wrote:

> Its come to the situation now that whenever we go to local business
> meetings. It is possible to identify the Windows 'wolf-pack' hovering in
> the back-ground, ready to get their teeth into us. LOL! I love these
> situations because I can see the potential for skilfully engaging with
> people.

Does the subject ever come up relating to why it is pretty well
impossible to buy a machine pre installed with Ubuntu or any other
Linux based operating system?
The technical pros and cons of Windows versus whatever is an enticing
smoke screen.
Windows has at least as many failings as any other system, I would
suggest it has more.

My friends have not used anything but Windows in the past because that
is what was  preinstalled, not because they had any choice. As soon as
they find they can have Ubuntu installed for them, that is what they
ask me for. And I am happy to help.

The recent hardening in Government policy making open standards
mandatory might be an interesting one to be aware of too.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user