[ubuntu-uk] Asus x52f performance

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:57:38 UTC 2011

On Jul 7, 2011 7:52 AM, "Alan Lord (News)" <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/07/11 21:58, Chris Rowson wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently bought an Asus X42F laptop computer with a Nehalem Core i3
>> M330 CPU with integrated Intel HD GPU.
>>
>> I'm finding that it works somewhat better under Windows 7 than under
>> Ubuntu. For example:
>

> There is certainly one big bug with the integrated Core i3 graphics that
has affected us since it first came out.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/614238
>
> This makes the VGA output unusable and from what I can tell is still not
really fixed.

> So my point is that I wouldn't be all that surprised if there are other
bugs with Intel graphics - they have hardly had a glorious past...

> Al
>
> --
> The Open Learning Centre
> http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

It's a shame really, because it seems that graphics drivers are a bit if a
stumbling block no matter what hardware you go for, especially if you want
3D accelerated graphics. Strange the that Ubuntu would push the 3D.desktop
in its more recent releases.

Chris