[ubuntu-uk] Education software - purplemash anyone?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Jul 6 10:12:45 UTC 2011

On 06/07/11 08:56, Byte Soup wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My kids school are considering spending money on a yearly subsciption
> to this --> http://www.purplemash.com/
>
> Now as most parents I think its a shame if the school spends money on
> things they dont need and I also believe that the reason this happens
> sometimes is that the school simply arent aware of alternatives.
>
> Does anyone have any useful information, alternatives I could feedback
> to the school?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Mark

I think you need to look out side the box here,  I clicked on the news
report for the moon landing and it really helps the user with what to
put in their article,  pictures are drag and drop,  but it is
scaffolding the user by asking questions and suggesting what to include,

normal software does not do this,  with Openoffice, libreoffice, scribus
you have blank canvas and are expected to know what to type and how to
write stuff for it.

It is also web based which means the school does not have to install
software, (less time fixing software issues for IT co-ordinators)

I am using firefox and it works fine,  or seems to, I would have an
issue if it was written specifically for IE< in which case your argument
would be more about web standards, etc

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info at devonmusiccollective.com for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day