[ubuntu-uk] Question on dual-booting 11.04 and Windows 7

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:54:29 UTC 2011

On 05.07.11 18:04, alan c wrote:
> 2) My understanding is that both vista and windows 7 are likely to
> place system files at the end of the partition, which means that a
> third party partition editor (such as gparted, as used in Ubuntu etc)
> may resize the partitons ok, but you may find that the windows file
> system is damaged. It may be repairable I expect, I am not sure. A
> frequent reccommendation is to let vista or windows 7 resize its own
> partition first, using its own tools. The disadvantage of this is that
> it may not release as much HD space as you may want.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, since I normally manually
partition in the installer.

However, the Ubiquity installer uses GParted's libraries to handle
filesystems. These can move files, including system files, and fix
partitions as they get resized.

There are a few occasions where MS has changed the proprietary format
when it's better to use a newer version of GParted (e.g. a GParted live
CD) rather than the version on the Ubuntu CD. Normally, I've found
everything works OK though with a recent Ubuntu CD.

I'd probably use a GParted CD to partition now if I was installing 10.04
LTS, but 11.04 should be fine.

> 3) Consider and prepare for a reinstall or full recovery if things go
> badly for you, just in case.

This is *very* *good* *advice*! Especially when you're dealing with
proprietary filesystems, make sure you have a copy of anything you
couldn't bear to lose.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.