[ubuntu-uk] 30 test drive of Ubuntu: PC world

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 17:09:53 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 17:31, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/11 12:40, alan c wrote:

>>> Has anybody else been following this series? What are your thoughts?
>>
>> I have looked in occasionally. I decided early on that he is a well
>> established Windows user and the series is a slightly veiled long
>> drawn out winge about how difficult Ubuntu can be made to seem. The
>> few items of praise he offers are almost half hearted.
>>
>> It is unrealistic in that all of the Ubuntu users I help did not have
>> to install Ubuntu at all, just like before that they did not have to
>> install Windows either.
>>
>> People like myself, who did install Ubuntu on my own, learned a bit
>> about 'partitions' and act as my own administrator, are seen as total
>> experts by people that I help (!), and I certainly have never used
>> 'grep', which is one of the two commands he says he had to use. I
>> avoid cl like a  dose of 'flu, and I get by very well thank you.
>>
>> The good news is that it does keep Ubuntu in people's sight, in
>> creases visibility, and it saves me a lot of effort trying to let
>> others know it really exists......
>>
>> The elephant in the room is that he bought a machine pre installed
>> with Windows, and so did most other people in the world. And
>> preinstalled Ubuntu machines, if you can arrange to get one, are a
>> dream compared with windows land.
>

> Just to illustrate the background of this reviewer (Tony Bradley, PCWorld)
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/234994/30_days_with_the_ipad.html
>
> "I mean giving up the Windows 7 OS that I love--again. In case you're
> just joining us, I just got done spending 30 Days With Ubuntu Linux. I
> was looking forward to getting back to Windows, but......."

I read the first few days of the series then lost interest, but
reminded of it by this thread, I have just read them all.

The most interesting thing, for me, is in his summing-up.

#3 most-liked feature of Ubuntu?

Unity.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/234791-2/ubuntu_linux_day_29_five_things_i_like_most_about_ubuntu_linux.html

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com