[ubuntu-uk] 30 test drive of Ubuntu: PC world

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Jul 3 11:40:04 UTC 2011

On 03/07/11 10:07, Barry Titterton wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 09:50 +0100, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:
>>  Silly me forgot the link!
>>  http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/229187/30_days_withubuntu_linux.html
>>
>>  30 Days With Ubuntu Linux
>>
>>  By Tony Bradley, PCWorld
>>  @TheTonyBradley
>>

>>  On 6/8/11, Andrés Muñiz Piniella<andresmp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>  >  I've been following up 7 days of this guy fighting a change to Ubuntu
>>  >  from Windows7.
>>  >
>>  >  Sadly he is finding loads of contradictory messages, rants about
>>  >  linux, rants about mint, rants about nvidia drivers...
>>  >
>>  >  But a very interesting read. Linux foundation is retweeting every
>>  >  single blogpost.
>>  >
>>  >  --
>>  >  Andrés Muñiz-Piniella

> Has anybody else been following this series? What are your thoughts?

I have looked in occasionally. I decided early on that he is a well
established Windows user and the series is a slightly veiled long
drawn out winge about how difficult Ubuntu can be made to seem. The
few items of praise he offers are almost half hearted.

It is unrealistic in that all of the Ubuntu users I help did not have
to install Ubuntu at all, just like before that they did not have to
install Windows either.

People like myself, who did install Ubuntu on my own, learned a bit
about 'partitions' and act as my own administrator, are seen as total
experts by people that I help (!), and I certainly have never used
'grep', which is one of the two commands he says he had to use. I
avoid cl like a  dose of 'flu, and I get by very well thank you.

The good news is that it does keep Ubuntu in people's sight, in
creases visibility, and it saves me a lot of effort trying to let
others know it really exists......

The elephant in the room is that he bought a machine pre installed
with Windows, and so did most other people in the world. And
preinstalled Ubuntu machines, if you can arrange to get one, are a
dream compared with windows land.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user