[ubuntu-uk] Facebook page - now with extra vanity

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Jul 1 15:58:05 UTC 2011

** Dino T. <dino at dinot.co.uk> [2011-07-01 14:37]:
> I can send google+ invites to anyone, just need a gmail address or
> hotmail/yahoo that has a google account associated.

In which case my address is paul.tansom with the usual gmail dot com domain at
then end of it :) Only really used for testing sending mail in and out of
various places really, but I do have one. I need to get my head around the
Google calendar which on the face of it seems to insist on dealing with a Gmail
account so I never see any reminders.

I didn't realise you could associate Hotmail or Yahoo addresses with your
Google account, I'm curious now - not that I use them for anything!

> Not a fan of Diaspora*, simply because im not a fan of the multiple urls
> called seeds like diasp.org, joindiaspora, diaspora.eu etc. if i join a
> network, i want my id to be unique. anyone can create a diasp.domain etc
> with my name and claim to be me. Its a pet peeve of mine.

I take the point, and it is one of the 'features' of a distributed system I
guess, but at the same time the domain bit in the ID is pretty much the same as
an email domain, so it is only the equivalent of somebody setting up a Hotmail
or Yahoo email that seems to match you.

** end quote [Dino T.]