[ubuntu-uk] Dell - was ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 69, Issue 59

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 27 19:57:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 19:43 +0000, Barry Titterton wrote:
> Does anyone else find this something of a coincidence after Dell
> suddenly stopped shipping Ubuntu pre-loaded? Or have I got carried away
> with my conspiracy theories?

Dell has brought back the pre-loaded Inspiron laptop (only one model)
for the UK.  In the States there are several models shipped pre-loaded.
Michael Dell is very much pro-Ubuntu, but the world is not quite ready
to go for it.  That's our job!  To prepare the way ....

Windows 7 and dual boot is going to be a problem anyway unless you
re-format and re-install Windows before installing Ubuntu.  But in any
case it isn't difficult to reinstate a boot sector before installing
grub... I would have thought there is a workaround for dual booting (if
you MUST dual boot).

Regards,		Barry.
http://ubuntuadverts.org/