[ubuntu-uk] netbook wifi traffic disconnects all

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 01:03:16 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 17:27, Steve Fisher <xirconuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 January 2011 23:31, Barry Titterton
> <barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 23:11 +0000, Bill Cumming wrote:
>>

>> > I've a Netgear DG834gt Router with custom firmware,
>> >
>> > It does the same! With me It's a problem with the way the router
>> > handles ports,
>> > It only happens when i'm downloading many torrents, causes the routers
>> > wireless not respond.
>> >
>> > My router stands vertically with a 4inch gap all around it in a room
>> > with no central heating on (it's around 16c in the room) so don't
>> > think it's not an over heating problem.
>> >
>> > It sounds more like a problem with the drivers of the wireless, Can't
>> > remember where I read it but there's something about the number of
>> > ports the router can open and the speed the connections are recycled
>> > causes the drivers to effectively "crash" if it happens too quickly.
>> >
>> > As I said, it only happens with me If I'm downloading multiple
>> > torrents and they all try to open more than 256 ports each..
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Bill Cumming
>> >
>> > Twitter: @s0l_uk
>> > Skype: s0litaire
>> > eMail: bill at s0l.co.uk
>>
>> I have also had a problem recently with my DG834GT, which suddenly
>> started dropping connections. I traced this to the channel that I was
>> using. The router defaults to channel 6. I changed to channel 11 and the
>> problem went away. I think that one of my neighbours must have bought a
>> wireless device such as a base station telephone which was swamping the
>> signal for channel 6. It is worth a try as it is simple to change and
>> will not cost you a penny.
>>
>> Barry
>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> My setup is a WRT54G2.  If I try to torrent a distro, my Missus can't access
> the internet at all.  I have always assumed Virgin where "traffic shaping",
> basically stopping people downloading torrents (most of which are probably
> illegal!) and swamping the network.
> This also happens if I download a torrent in Windows, so it is not just a
> linux thing.

I think this needs to be said before this thread goes off on a tangent
based on misconceptions...

Traffic shaping done by Virgin (or any ISP) would happen to the data
en route between your router and its destination (the web server or
BitTorrent peer). It can affect the rate at which other people behind
your router can download things if one PC is flooding the single
connection to the ISP. However there is no way that traffic shaping is
responsible for wifi dropping between devices and the router as
described by the OP - it's a completely different thing.

At the moment my money is on the router not enjoying the large numbers
of connections that BitTorrent can generate. This would be easy to
test by simply downloading a large file from the web on the netbook
and seeing if it has the same effect. If it still does then I'd say
you either have wifi congestion, and should try changing channels as
someone else suggested, or a faulty router.

Still, just guesses.

Regards,
Matthew