[ubuntu-uk] MINT - was Distro hopping / Laptop running hot

Steve Fisher xirconuk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:42:53 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 21:23, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 21:15 +0000, Craig Peden wrote:
> > Linux Mint releases with a number are ubuntu based. i.e Mint 10 "Julia".
> LMDE is debian.
>
> Tomorrow I'll try Mint DE and see what I think.
>
> Regards,                Barry.
>
> --
> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Definitely worth a punt Barry:

Pros:
Rock solid - I haven't broken it, even with my normal tinkering :)
Most PPAs I have tried work (except LibreOffice, but I got that working by
downloading the Debs).
Suspend works (mostly, but not at all on Ubuntu 10.04).

Cons:
Its not as up-to-date as I would like, kernel is only 2.6.32-5-amd64, but I
am working on getting the Liquirix kernel installed (it installs OK but DKMS
doesn't rebuild my wifi or ATI drivers).

Overall lacks the user input of Ubuntu, Ubuntu has taken over the world
though.

I have found a script to duplicate add PPA functionality as well.

Feel free to give me a shout, if I can help I will.

Steve