[ubuntu-uk] buying a laptop?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:04:41 UTC 2011

On 18/01/11 21:32, George Tripp wrote:

> Just wondered are there any novatechi3
> (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/novatechi3.html) users
> out there who can comment on Ubuntu compatibility?

I haven't used one of these machines, but as with most Core i3/i5
systems at the moment, I suspect that you will probably run into this
little bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/614238
if you want to use the VGA port. This bug seems to affect any Linux (not
just Ubuntu) on any Core i3/5 system that is using the integrated GPU.
But it does seem as though there may be fix in the wings...

With my Samsung Core i3 lappy, the HDMI port does work OK however (and
can be adapted to DVI with a cheapish cable) so it isn't the end of the
world.

You could always ask Novatech beforehand - they might even offer to take
it back if fails to work to your satisfaction, or, if you happen to be
near one of their showrooms, you could ask to take along a USB stick and
test it before buying? I see no harm in asking at least...

Cheers

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre