[ubuntu-uk] buying a laptop?

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:51:51 UTC 2011

On 17 January 2011 14:32, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On 17 January 2011 14:23, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
> > Just went through the process and looked at the shipping.  A 10.1"
> > Netbook ships to the UK at $130 something - a good percentage of the
> > cost of the netbook!!!
> >

> I didn't say it was value for money :)
>
> I have often pondered setting up a cottage business buying naked
> laptops and ubuntifying them, but can't see there's a huge margin in
> it, but there's the potential to get sucked into very long protracted
> support conversations, negating any profit made.

Likewise. I even contemplated refurbishing old computers with a lightweight
Ubuntu-based distro but the margin would have to be based on providing
support, which could be made to work for small companies and charities and
the like, but was more difficult to do for individuals as people won't pay
for computer support and the charge and value often outweighs the time spent
on problems.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood