[ubuntu-uk] buying a laptop?

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Jan 17 11:41:41 UTC 2011

On 17 January 2011 11:34, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's more likely that they would have a deal with a maker of white label
> laptops in China or Taiwan. It's not easy to build laptops from components.

In which case there is something amiss, is there not?

Because they could buy a laptop retail from PC World for £299 by simply
walking in, spend 5 minutes restoring a disc image and then sell at £399,
£450 or whatever they do with a HEALTHY profit.

So what advantage is the China/Taiwan thing gaining them?

Unless, of course, they're overcharging.   And it's actually costing them
£150 to build these laptops and they just know that Linux advocates will pay
anything to be seen to be "supporting the cause".

In which case, they don't deserve our custom.  As we're being used.

Sean