[ubuntu-uk] buying a laptop?

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Jan 17 11:38:35 UTC 2011

On 17 January 2011 11:30, Andrés Muñiz Piniella <andresmp at gmail.com> wrote:

> When there is little demand things get more expensive.
> It's cheaper to batch install on computers that where fabricated to be used
> with windows. I don't think there is a guy installing each windows drive.
> Probably done in factory via the ethernet connection.
> Linux emporium claim that the test all the kit before sending. to make sure
> it works fine. With windows kits there is no need for that because they
> where fabricated with windows in mind.
> linux emporium seem to provide some support with the purchase. I have a
> feeling it will be a bit more personalized attention than big Dell
> callcentre.

Well, but the point is that if there is a machine which is "fabricated to be
used with Windows", and you have Ubuntu running 100% effectively on it,
surely it (by definition) then becomes "fabricated to be used with Ubuntu"
just as much and - therefore - you don't need to "install each [ubuntu]
drive", do you?  Or, rather, you don't need to "sit through an install", you
can just duplicate a disc image the same as the Windows folks do.

Or am I missing something?

And, to be honest, I'm not too worried about "personalized attention" when
installing if I am going to save £100 on the retail cost of the laptop... it
will presumably "work out of the box"... where I might need the support is
later, but that's a different argument.

Sean