[ubuntu-uk] buying a laptop?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:24:59 UTC 2011

On 17/01/11 09:58, Sean Miller wrote:
> That's always been a concern of mine... they always seem excessive in
> terms of price vs. specification and I don't understand this, because
> surely building a machine WITHOUT Windows (and its costly licences, even
> considering OEM) ought to be CHEAPER?

Nope. That is quite far from the truth...

The MS OEM license for Windows is probably about 50% of the retail price
for the same software.

When the major vendors bundle in all the crapware that comes with
pre-installed systems, the vendors of the crapware actually pay to get
their software bundled so in the end, the cost of the Windows license
for the PC vendor becomes virtually zero or it even turns into positive
margin in some cases.

> So why do Linux Emporium laptops not start at about £225 (if we consider
> that you can buy a Windows one from Tesco and/or PC World for £299 ?

Erm, I bet Tesco/PC World buy a shedload more machines than Linux
Emporium could ever do and so will get much better volume discounts on
the hardware even before you take into consideration the crapware
kickbacks I mentioned above.

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre