[ubuntu-uk] natty with unity

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Thu Jan 13 23:04:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 22:26 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> Eh? You've moved over to mint yourself but you're worried that other
> people will too?

I'm running 10.04 now, but will be moving to Mint as of natty.

I'm worried that Unity is one case of Ubuntu pushing design in the wrong
direction for the workstation. It's great for netbooks, once they get
the basics like "can add icons to the left menu" sorted. But for my
1680x1050 laptop, where I run multiple terminals side by side and often
run VMs, it's not even an option to use a netbook interface. If I have
to change the UI, I'd much rather have Gnome Shell than Unity.

Or, I was just really, really burned by KDE 4, and have become a bit
conservative about major shifts on the desktop.

Regards,
Tyler

--
""Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong,
which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be