[ubuntu-uk] natty with unity

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Thu Jan 13 20:11:09 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 19:47, gazz wrote:
> About to write something for a VCS ICT mag about Ubuntu so thought I'd
> have a look at Natty - umm, not a big fan of Unity, ugly and
> ridiculously limited - wot, can't add stuff to the panel - what's the
> one at the top actually doing besides wasting space and telling me the
> time and that' I'm networked? Can't add move a panel? Hmmm.
>
> I'll concede that it might work well for people who want their puters
> to be toasters but please God don't stop offering GNOME shell
> alternative!
>
> Paula
I would wait until at least next week (after the platform sprint) and
preferably to after alpha2 before leaping to conclusions about it.
Adding an application to the panel consists of running it somehow (from
nautilus until the new thing to run things from is done) then right
clicking on it in the unity panel and selecting the "keep in panel" option.
I am guessing the gnome panel at the top will kind of go when the unity
thing is more fully baked.

Alan.