[ubuntu-uk] thunderbird is installed, but needs to be installed...

Jacob Mansfield cyberjacob at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 20:54:32 UTC 2011

I just tried to install thunderbird on my new machine and was greeted with this:

administrator at jay:~$ thunderbird
The program 'thunderbird' is currently not installed.  You can install
it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird
administrator at jay:~$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
thunderbird is already the newest version.
administrator at jay:~$

so thunderbird is installed but won't run, probably because there's no
executable (or at lease none found by `locate thunderbird` that seems
to actually run the program.
is this an ongoing bug or have I messed up my install already?
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer