[ubuntu-uk] Insurance.aes256 and OpenSSL

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:15:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 08:02:03 +0000,Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>
wrote:

> On 4 January 2011 07:45, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have the file itself, and the default OpenSSL packages for 10.04,
> > but OpenSSL is a command line application and I wonder if anyone
> > could tell me what to type into the terminal in order to at least
> > inspect the file and gain some information about it.
>
> Well, it's encrypted so you'd need to know the encryption key (aka
> "password") to inspect the file... if you don't, you can't. Or am I
> misunderstanding something? Sean

I don't know much about cryptography, but if I could compare the
situation to a box with a lock on it, it should be possible to see the
keyhole at least. Thus, I would expect it to be possible to look at the
file and say, yes, this is a text file encrypted with AES256, and it
requires a password of x characters to open it. R