[ubuntu-uk] Off topic - UK vendor cheeplinux?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Feb 28 12:02:09 UTC 2011

On 15/09/10 22:35, Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** alan c<aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>  [2010-09-15 22:32]:
>>  About  3 weeks ago I ordered a few items (a couple of legacy logo
>>  Ubuntu mugs and various stickers) from www.cheeplinux.com. I have
>>  purchased from them in the distant past and expected no problem. The
>>  site says that most purchases will be dispatched next day, although
>>  this is not item specific.
>>
>>  After a couple of weeks I phoned them for a progress update and was
>>  surprised to find that the Contact phone number was not a working one.
>>  I sent an online question about the progress of my order, but received
>>  no reply.
>>
>>  My bank says that unless a specific delivery was given, then 30 days
>>  must be allowed before any extraordinary action can be processed.
>>
>>  I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I would like to have the
>>  products, but it is hard to remain very optimistic.
>>
>>  Any experiences out there re this vendor please? Off list if you prefer?
>>  thanks
> ** end quote [alan c]
>
> If you take a look at Cheep Linux Ltd. on the Companies House website you find:
>
> Last Return Made Up To: 26/05/2009
> Next Return Due: 23/06/2010 OVERDUE
>
> which isn't too encouraging, and:

> which is even less so :(

Update to story with happy ending:
(Thanks for the two original responses)
Also, using Google street view I found a company apparently in the
same building..... and on the phone they said they had not seen anyone
in the other offices for a longish time.

So I started a paypal complaints/refund procedure and also contacted
my bank. Paypal procedure seemed entirely automated, and step by step,
with the various built in delays to await vendor response etc, it all
went through, my claim was accepted and the judgment was that if funds
in the account existed, then I would be repaid.

My bank was not automated. I learned from my phone conversation that
everything had to be set down on in writing, which I did. Lots of
numbers,  dates, copies, you can imagine.

However, the news  - amazing to me - was that after many weeks , maybe
it was months, I did neither count nor hold my breath - was that I
later received a letter from my bank informing me that the money had
been repaid back into my account!

I have to hand it to paypal and not least to my bank, for a procedure
which actually worked and joined up!

Although it seemed to take a long long time for their site to get
pulled, I see now that it is no longer available.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user