[ubuntu-uk] LibreOffice vs OpenOffice

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:43:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 23:39 +0000, Avi wrote:
> Bruno Girin wrote:
> >
> > There are plans to change this from 11.04 forward so that new software
> > or new versions of existing software (like Firefox 4) can be included
> > without having to manually add a PPA.
> >

> Really? I thought PPA's were a reasonably elegant way of 'fixing'
> stability. Have you links to any more info on this?

Well, I should have checked first, I'm not quite correct :-) The way I
understand it, the improvements in software centre (apart from ratings
and reviews) include an easier way to add PPAs, which should make new
versions of software easier to discover without having to know what PPAs
are. I can't find the exact details and the blueprint [1] is not as
clear as it could be but my understanding is that's what is meant by
making it possible for "New applications [to] show up in the software
center".

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-m-software-center-roadmap

Cheers,