[ubuntu-uk] LibreOffice vs OpenOffice

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 13:18:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 11:37 +0000, Simon Greenwood wrote:
<snip>

>         Is there anything significant preventing LO being put into the
>         Ubuntu Software Centre? When LO gets into Ubuntu as it will,
>         in 11.04, I will certainly use it, but my tech experience
>         level is not really sufficient to effortlessly manage PPAs and
>         the possible complication of the existing Open Office too.
>
>         If LO was to be available in the Ubuntu Software Centre then I
>         would use it now.
>         --
>

> I would guess that it's Canonical policy: the office suite is seen as
> a core component in Desktop and as such is maintained.OO and LO
> probably don't exactly coexist in Linux so having one or the other is
> a practical consideration as well as a policy decision.

I think the main reason is that at the moment, all software in the
software centre for a given cycle (say 10.10) is fixed at the time of
the release, down to the actual version of the software. The only thing
that get in the repos of a released version of Ubuntu are fixes.

There are plans to change this from 11.04 forward so that new software
or new versions of existing software (like Firefox 4) can be included
without having to manually add a PPA.

Besides, the libreoffice package will actually remove openoffice.org
when you install it, not because they don't like OOo but because the two
suites have too much in common while having subtle differences and as
you say above having both of them side by side would mean a lot of
potential complications.

Cheers,

Bruno