[ubuntu-uk] LibreOffice vs OpenOffice

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Feb 20 10:30:34 UTC 2011

On 19/02/11 06:05, Hassan "Haz" Williamson wrote:
> @Mac, Thanks for that. Interesting read. Personally I'm going where the
> developers are, I have a feeling that Oracle might try to swing things to
> their favour and might close down some aspects of OOo - either that or try
> to incorporate their own proprietary database system in somehow. I could be
> wrong, but that's just my opinion of it.
>
> @Liam, You could have saved yourself some heart ache by just installing
> LibreOffice with the PPA. If I recall the PPA supports 10.04, 10.10 and
> 11.04. I'll list the commands for it below for you:
>

> *sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa*
> *
> *
> *sudo apt-get update*
> *
> *
> *sudo apt-get install libreoffice*
>

> If your using gnome, then also run this for it to integrate better:
>

> *sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome*
>

> For KDE:
>
> *sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde*
>

> There is an article somewhere on omgubuntu.co.uk about this. I'll link it at
> the end for reference. This will install LibreOffice just like any other
> application you'd find in the ubuntu repo's. So you'll get your menu item,
> document file type associations, etc... Enjoy :).
>
> I really don't understand why the one on the LibreOffice website is so
> complicated to try and get it to work. It might scare some people away from
> using it, which would be a shame. I'm sure they'll make it easier as time
> passes though.
>
> Hope this helps you out, and hopefully others who many be having trouble
> getting LibreOffice to work.

Is there anything significant preventing LO being put into the Ubuntu
Software Centre? When LO gets into Ubuntu as it will, in 11.04, I will
certainly use it, but my tech experience level is not really
sufficient to effortlessly manage PPAs and the possible complication
of the existing Open Office too.

If LO was to be available in the Ubuntu Software Centre then I would
use it now.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user