[ubuntu-uk] LibreOffice vs OpenOffice

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 14:13:55 UTC 2011

On 19/02/2011 13:16, Sean Miller wrote:
> Having worked with Oracle for 22 years I think I perhaps have less distrust
> of Larry Ellison's company than some

Oh, I don't distrust them.  On the contrary, I trust them to do what
they do very well:  invent ways of making money.  In the case of OOo,
that will mean trying to 'extend' and 'monetise' it.

<snip>

> Sun wasn't any more "not for profit" than Oracle is.  I'm trying to think
> what our Solaris servers cost back in 1993

Yes, indeed, of course Sun did sell things for profit - but not Open
Office, which Oracle will want to find ways of making money out of.  And
one guesses they will do that by introducing proprietary 'enhancements'.

So if you want 'free' in both senses, looks like Libre Office is the
only show in town.

mac