[ubuntu-uk] Unable to share files over network.

John MM scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:35:04 UTC 2011

I am running Ubuntu 1-0.10 on both my machines. I have tried a few
thigns already to get the network to wowk, but I cant.

If I go to Places>Network I see just a windows Icon with no Ubuntu Icon
there to share, and when i click on it, it says unable to mount.

I have gone into Nautilus and clicked on the folders in there I want to
share, the box comes up to share the folder. I click on 'Share Name' and
'Allow access to others......' and get an error message saying 'net user
share' returned error 255: net usershare add: failed to addshare
document. Error was Operation not pernitted.

So, I went into Nautilus as root, did the same thing, and that didnt
show an error, but I still cant share.

Then I used the command gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

and added #usershare owner only = false

to global

restarted samba, but still nothing works. I keep getting that error 255.
My other my other computer cant even find this one.

Is there anybody that could helop, to get rid of this error message.

Is there a way I can use the Places>Connect to server option, but it
would have to be a secure connection.

Thanks.