[ubuntu-uk] Web server help please!

bodsda at googlemail.com bodsda at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:08:30 UTC 2011

Hi John,

Apache stores its webroot here '/var/www/'

Just create a web page named index.html and put it in that directory

By configuring the ports, I guess you mean you are hosting the web page on your home pc - you'll need to log onto your router and forward port 80 to your pc's IP address, so probably best to have a static address

Apache security is a whole subject in its own right - a good source of info can be found here - http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/133913/171/

An email address would need to be provided by the people who you buy the domain name from - 123reg are a good start

Hope this helps
Bodsda