[ubuntu-uk] OT - Office suite choice?

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:04:03 UTC 2011

On 08/02/11 11:36, Neil Greenwood wrote:

> If you're sticking with LTS because of the stability, don't risk the
> stability - keep the default application suite it uses.
>
> For at least the medium-term future, LibreOffice and OOo are going to
> use 100% compatible file formats, since they stick to the ODF
> standard. So it is unlikely to cause any issues with the upgrade to
> 12.04 when LibreOffice is the default, unless Oracle use the
> "embrace-and-extend" tactic with the ODF standard. This won't affect
> you if you're sticking to the version in 10.04 LTS though.
>
> It really depends why you are keeping to the LTS versions.

Thanks for that - sensible advice. I use the LTS versions because I've
had occasional glitches with the "bleeding edge" releases before, but
never with the LTS versions.
I suppose the only other consideration is whether OO and LO 3.3 have got
any better than (say, OO 3.2.1) at opening OOXML (spit!) documents, as I
notice these are now becoming more and more numerous...