[ubuntu-uk] GPL etc.

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Dec 26 14:28:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:37:27AM +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> This isn't strictly Ubuntu, but more a generic "Open Source" question.
>
> I am looking for a WYSIWYG editor for my own bespoke CMS that I have
> written, and have until now been using FCKEditor.
>
> I have found this one, however, which looks very nice but it isn't
> generic... it's specifically written as a Joomla plug-in
>
> http://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/
>
> Am I able to fork this, and make it "generic" (ie. so it can be integrated
> into any CMS)?
>
> My understanding of GPL is that as long as I make the generic version
> available to everybody, under the same GPL, I should be okay?
>
> Any advice would be gratefully received.

I would say that you are about right in your interpretation of whats
allowed.  However it would make much more sense talk to them about what
you want to do, and perhaps offer up some patches to them for it.
Likely they will have better simpler ideas on how to do what you want
and make it happen quicker.  Then if they rebuff you, then think about
forking.   A fork is a pain as you have to maintain it.  Ubuntu of
course is in this exactly position, and trust me, its expensive :).

-apw