[ubuntu-uk] Exchange in Thunderbird

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 13:08:28 UTC 2011

On Dec 25, 2011 1:34 AM, "John Oliver" <jp.oliver at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to connect to a corporate
Microsoft Exchange server via Thunderbird? This would help me greatly in my
work, as having to use OWA (Light, 2007), which is one of the least
intuitive pieces of software released by Microsoft, is a bit of a pain for
me, as reading emails becomes a chore, and I can only send them back out in
plain text format, which isn't especially fabulous for me.

> In Ubuntu 11.04 and before it, when Evolution was default, built-in
Exchange support was on offer, and I used it. If anyone does know a way to
access Exchange through Thunderbird, I would be grateful if you could
assist me.

> Regards,
> John Oliver

I use Davmail. It works very well for the basics, though I've not got it
working correctly (yet) with Calendar and LDAP.

You can run it locally or on a server (I have it running on a VPS) so phone
or Gmail can periodically get mail.

Jonathon.