[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 80, Issue 69

Nick Callaghan nicholas.callaghan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 12:46:10 UTC 2011

> I have a galaxy tab 10.1, and the charging occurs through the adapter
> connector USB cable, that is it charges from a USB socket. This same
> USB cable can be plugged into my PC USB socket and it auto mounts (in
> ubuntu 10.04.3) and the PC then indicates that a SAMSUNG_Android is
> connected. The galaxy tab also indicates: USB connected, MTP-connected.
> On the PC the file manager (location) of the mounted folder is
> gphoto2://[usb:001,008]/
>
> There are a lot of folders listed in the device, which is seen as
> apparently a medium containing  digital photos, however, in nautilus,
> all the folders are shown as empty. Maybe permissions need to be
> managed somehow but my trick of gksu nautilus produces a nautilus
> which does not show this medium....
> I have other versions of Ubuntu  but have not yet tried it with them.
>
> --
> alan cocks
> Ubuntu user #10391
> Linux user #360648
> FSF #9005

*******
******

I'm running 11.10 ar present. In nautilus it shows the device as allan
says. It actually lists file and folder structure and an can actually even
copy a file over.

The problem is that nautilus shows the size of the device as 1gb with only
60mb free space. It as 16gb device which is mostly empty. Copying files
over fail due to disk space error. Apperently from android 3.0 they use mtp
to mount device rather than mass storage mode. Guessing its only a matter
of time until linux support is improved

There is also an article on omg ubuntu which i have just found talking
about the same thing. Cant get their instructions to work though:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-easily-mount-the-galaxy-nexus-on-ubuntu-11-10-via-unity/

Nick