[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu one and google +

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Dec 23 10:03:47 UTC 2011

On 23/12/11 07:58, Neil Greenwood wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2011 11:56 PM, "Alan Pope" <alan.pope at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 22/12/11 23:00, Andres wrote:
>>> i do not get it.
>>>
>>> At least through facebook/twitter you could use your gwibber.
>> And you'll be able to use G+ through gwibber once Google make the API
> available no doubt.
>>> Since g+, linkedin, diaspora* et al. Are not as mainstream and do not

Linked in is more of a professional networking tool,  so its geared up
for business and job hunting, so it seems more of a specific social
network.  Plus the gogle+ chat tool is useable.
> even make there way to gwibber (there are bug reports for each) what is the
> point of adding another link clogging up the gui?
>> How does something become mainstream?
>> By people using it.
>>
>> Why do people use it?
>> Because their friends and other people/companies/products they're
> interested in are there.
I find if I post something technical to google+ i get an intellegent
response,  posting something similar to facebook I get in what seems in
most cases to be totally the opposite, so what if google+ is more geeky,
I am looking for intelligent responses to questions, not immature or
brainless comments on a topic.  if that makes me a geek I don't care,
eventually people may realise my point bywhich time their photos and IP
will be appearing on advertisements or on their facebook timeline and
the will end up with the consequences of that.

if we are never on google+ people won't bother to find our pages,  so we
need to be on there.
>> So in my opinion we should be where people are. People most definitely
> are on G+, whether you are or not.

At least if there is a link the option is there,
>> Let's look at an example. Matthew Inman who runs the insanely popular
> 'The Oatmeal' web site/comic which appeals to 'normal' people, not just
> geeks has this to say:-
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/100193529331792590881/posts/1TeRkifBeZc
>>
>> He took ~1 year to get   ~17K followers on tumblr.
>> He took ~2 years to get ~209K followers on twitter.
>> He took ~1 month to get ~190K followers on Google plus.
>>
>> That was back on October 15th.
>>
>> Now he has over 400K followers on Google. More in ~3 months than it took
> 2 _years_ on twitter.
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/100193529331792590881/
>>
>> Google+ is mainstream.
>>
> Is it, or is it a reflection of how much more popular he is now?
>
> Just playing devil's advocate!

Neil.

Well I have put my google+ link on my website and not my facebook link,
I intend to encourage people to use google+ over facebook,  they may not
get the privacy side of things,  but that is up to them.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Join the revolution, switch to Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com