[ubuntu-uk] shutdown during log in: is it a feature?

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Dec 22 09:31:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:09:28AM +0000, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It used to be the case, at least I seem to remember, that if I was in the
> log in of ubuntu (now light dm I think) if I pressed the shutdown button
> (on the hardware) it will give me 60 seconds to shutdown but would
> eventually shutdown.
>
> The reason for this is that some times I turn on the computer but then
> realize I do not have time or am called elsewhere ( I do not even turn on
> screen). I would like to shutdown without having to do the hold 5 seconds
> button.
>
> Maybe I should not worry about doing a "hard" shutdown during login? I can
> spare 5 seconds normally.

I would not normally recommend holding the power to turn the machine off
as that just zaps the OS whatever it is doing, not safe.  If power
button used to pop up the shutdown chooser thing (and I do vagly recall
it doing so) and no longer does, that sounds like a regression and
something worth filing a bug on.

-apw