[ubuntu-uk] qlcodes on ubuntu cd wallets -software on Linux

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Dec 21 21:54:47 UTC 2011

On 21/12/11 21:40, paul sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just had a thought about the 12,04 release cd wallet, would it be a good
> idea to include a qrcode that links people to the main ubuntu website,
>
> given that there are probably thousands (if not hundreds of thousands)
> of these cd's produced, world wide, and the number of smart phones that
> can read them it may make it easier for people to
> spread the word etc.
>
> could be handy for the situation where people find a cd lying around
> (e.g in a cafe) and can scan for more info before they hopefully pick up
> and take home with them.
>
> Just an idea.   I am starting to include qr codes on posters I do to
> promote ubuntu.
>
> Paul
>

> http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

On a related note to this software centre and apt-cache search qrcode
comes up with the following

libgd-barcode-perl - Library to create barcode images (GD::Barcode)
librqrcode-ruby - Ruby library for encoding QRCode (2D barcodes)
librqrcode-ruby-doc - Ruby library for encoding QRCode (2D barcodes)
librqrcode-ruby1.8 - Ruby library for encoding QRCode (2D barcodes)
librqrcode-ruby1.9.1 - Ruby library for encoding QRCode (2D barcodes)
libtext-qrcode-perl - module for generating text base QR Code

so are there any actual applications on Linux to read them.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Join the revolution, switch to Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com