[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: Ogv batch conversion from mp4 and others

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 21:22:33 UTC 2011

On 18 December 2011 19:56, Andres <andresmp at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Hello all,
>
> i was using ffmpeg2vorbis but the command ffmpeg2vorbis *.mp4 in a folder
> does not seem to work fot batch conversion. It does the first one and it
> tells me it can only do one at a time.
>
> Then I got a bit excited when i saw "ogg converter" in the software centre
> but it seems like a simple gui front end to ffmpeg2vorbis with plans for
> batch processing but seems that no progress has been made in the last 2
> years.
>
> I read some of you do some batch conversion of audio files but what about
> video? Any off-the-softwarecentre solution or script?
>
> In those lines i know wikipedia uses ogg format. But will it be the
> defacto on browsers html5 capable or is there still conflict with the
> propietary stuff?

Put a simple for loop around the command:

for i in $(ls *); do
    ffmpeg2vorbis ${i}
done

Adding in the required switches of course.

It's been a while since I did video conversion but HTML5 is codec agnostic
so to work in a fully cross platform way, each video should be encoded in
H.264, webM *and* ogg.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood