[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Sat Dec 10 12:20:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 09:19 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 10 December 2011 08:12, Barry Titterton
> <barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com> wrote:
> > My Toshiba running 11.10 takes five times longer to shut down compared
> > with when it was running 11.04. Start up times are about the same.
>
> If the majority of the delay is caused by logout rather than the
> actual shutdown (try logging out then shutting down to find out) then
> there are two bugs that I know of that you might be hitting.
>
> If you are using Tomboy then you are probably hitting [1] Tomboy
> causing delay on logout or shutdown.  The workaround is to quit Tomboy
> before logging out by clicking on its icon in the top panel and
> selecting Quit.  Just closing the tomboy windows leaves it running in
> the background.
>
> If you are using Unity-2d then there is [2] Long delay on session logout.
>
> If you are using neither of these then it must be something else.  It
> would be useful if you could try and determine what it is that is
> triggering the delay.  Have a look in syslog to see if there is
> anything.  Try logging in and immediately logging out without starting
> any apps (assuming the delay is the logout).
>
> If the delay is during shutdown rather than logout do you have any
> network shares?  If so if you unmount those first or temporarily
> remove them from fstab (and reboot obviously) does it help?
>
> Colin
>

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/880299
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/812104

Hi Colin,
Thank you for your response. To answer your questions:

1. I do not use Tomboy.
2. I do use Unity 2D on this machine as I found 3D to cause multiple
crashes, both of the desktop and Firefox. With 2D the machine is stable.
I have tried logging out before shut down, as you suggested. The logout
was quite quick but the subsequent shut down was still very slow. During
shut down I have the Ubuntu name on the screen with the five colour
changing dots below. With 11.04 I could count 3 dots to shut down, now
with 11.10 it takes 16 dots. This may not be a very scientific method
but it is a good visual indication of the difference in time taken.
3. I do not mount any network shares.

Barry T