[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:19:51 UTC 2011

On 10 December 2011 08:12, Barry Titterton
<barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com> wrote:
> My Toshiba running 11.10 takes five times longer to shut down compared
> with when it was running 11.04. Start up times are about the same.

If the majority of the delay is caused by logout rather than the
actual shutdown (try logging out then shutting down to find out) then
there are two bugs that I know of that you might be hitting.

If you are using Tomboy then you are probably hitting [1] Tomboy
causing delay on logout or shutdown.  The workaround is to quit Tomboy
before logging out by clicking on its icon in the top panel and
selecting Quit.  Just closing the tomboy windows leaves it running in
the background.

If you are using Unity-2d then there is [2] Long delay on session logout.

If you are using neither of these then it must be something else.  It
would be useful if you could try and determine what it is that is
triggering the delay.  Have a look in syslog to see if there is
anything.  Try logging in and immediately logging out without starting
any apps (assuming the delay is the logout).

If the delay is during shutdown rather than logout do you have any
network shares?  If so if you unmount those first or temporarily
remove them from fstab (and reboot obviously) does it help?

Colin

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/880299
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/812104