[ubuntu-uk] 11.10 So far mixed fortunes

Paula Graham pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 13:00:27 UTC 2011

> Its not down to your Tosh as such as my computer is a HP Pavilion
> desktop with 2GB ram.
>
> More likely to be a Unity 3D problem.  I had crashes in 11.04 but they
> have become more frequent in 11.10.
>
>     I assumed that the issues with the upgrade had caused a problem so
>     did a
>     full install. The machine crashed again two days later. Also
>     Firefox was
>     crashing to the desktop several times a day. I have now downgraded to
>     Unity 2D and everything is stable.
>
>     My non-techie test subject (the wife) has two things that she dislikes
>     about Unity:
>     1. The small vertical scroll device is fiddly, especially when using a
>     touch pad.
>     2. The launcher is too quick to jump out when you go to select
>     things in
>     the top left hand corner of an application, for example the 'Back
>     Arrow'
>     on Firefox. This, again, is a particular problem when using a
>     touch pad
>     as it is generally less accurate and over shoots are more likely.
>     There
>     needs to be a buffer zone between the left hand edge of a 'full
>     screen'
>     application window and the left hand edge of the display screen.
>
>     Barry T
>

>     --
>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

Lenovo (G-something or other) has similar problems - Firefox and Libre
Office endlessly crashing, launcher in the way etc.

Additionally, I've got some kind of compressed RAM partitions installed
by Oneiric (I presume) which gparted can't see (so you can't just get
rid of them prior to reinstallation) but which seem to prevent
installation of any system capable of recognising them (which seems to
be kernel 3.0 upwards but I'm only guessing) unless you wipe the entire
HD. This is extremely annoying if you have your /home on a separate
partition. The Ubuntu partitioner can see them but, apparently, not
remove them. I had to obliterate home and allow the Ubuntu installer to
use the whole disk. Otherwise the installer crashes - both Oneiric and
Bodhi.

No, I haven't filed a bug report because I don't feel like breaking my
system in order to reproduce it and don't have time to get to the bottom
of it . . .  maybe over the xmas break I'll look into it.

Paula