[ubuntu-uk] USB 5V DC power: power off?

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:44:31 UTC 2011

On 5 December 2011 22:24, Andres <andresmp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Would this be where to start or am I taking it the wrong way and
>> > over complicating?
>>
> Robert wrote:
>> How is it that you want to control the light? If it doesn't have to be
>> physical switch.
>
> It does have a physical switch my intention was to use the light as event
> driven as you suggest: fliker with new email, finished compile, scan,...
> I see i am better off getting arduino for that. Thanks.

Or use your parallel port. Oh, wait, it's 2011 now. Never mind :(

USB is not the easiest beast to tame the way you are hoping to. The 5v
line is typically always on, though additional power can be requested
by the device.

An Arduino is a good idea if you don't mind learning to write code.
There is also the k8055 board which can connect to your computer via
USB and has a number of inputs and outputs that you can use without
much risk of frying your laptop's USB controller:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-experiment-interface-board-42857

Here is one of the first things I did with mine:
http://matthewstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/im-barking.html

Regards,
Matthew