[ubuntu-uk] Are we missing the point with an OS ?

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 17:46:34 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 17:33, John Davis wrote:
> I am an experienced Linux/Ubuntu user, I went to night school to learn it.
> I use Ubuntu and Windows 7 on a daily basis and think that the OS is
> just somewhere to store the programmes I need to work with.
>
>    In Windows, it is the Apps that have to perform properly, like
> Office,Photoshop, email  etc.
>
> It seems that with Ubuntu et al, effort is put into the OS but it does
> not seem the same with the applications,  there developers seem to be
> left to their own devices. Without applications,  the OS is useless.
>
> I think this is why cloud computing is becoming more popular,
>
> Or am I missing the point,
>
> John Davis

No, John, you're not missing the point.  This is entirely the point for
most folk - they just want to be able to do the jobs they need to do,
simply, pleasantly and successfully.

Those who are preoccupied with the niceties of the OS are a bit like
Hi-fi enthusiasts of old, whose idea of a perfect system was one where
you put an unrecorded disc on the turntable, turn the gain up full, and
hear... silence!

Most of us just want the music.

mac