[ubuntu-uk] Printer Problem

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Dec 3 11:26:28 UTC 2011

On 02/12/11 19:42, Michael Daniels wrote:
> Am still on 10.04 Barry, was after a routine loading of the 10.04
> updates. I can not see why it has happened, why should one want a
> password to print something ?

I realised last night that if your problem was caused by an update, it
could only have been part of CUPS.  Looking through Ubuntu web archives,
someone with 10.04 did have a problem with a CUPS update.  Not quite the
same problem though.  My wife is still on 10.04 and has a stand-alone
printer.  Also she had not done an update for a few months, so this
morning I ran all the updates except for CUPS and then checked the
printer before updating CUPS (4 updates) one update at a time.  All
done, and sadly for you, no problem.

I think my final suggestion is to back up absolutely everything, and do
a complete install from scratch using the current 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot.
I know this is a pain, but without access to your computer, I don't
think any of us are going to get any further with the problem.  It just
is not repeatable on other equipment.  Make sure you back up the printer
driver and if needs be, I'll talk you through the printer installation
again.  Sorry to seem unhelpful.

God bless,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/