[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 04:12:00 UTC 2011

On 2 December 2011 10:27, Kris Douglas <krisdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have found that the complete lack of window management for multiple
> monitors

I am using dual 21" monitors with a 3200*1200 desktop. Unity works
very well indeed in this setup, with 2 top panels with different sets
of menus in them - so I am better off than I am on a single-screen
system.

The window management is just fine and I find the virtual desktop
support better and easier than it was with GNOME 2.

I am not saying that it is perfect or that everyone should love it,
but your sweeping generalisation that there is "a complete lack of
window management" is simply not true. You may not like how it works -
that's fine, that's your privilege. But it does handle multiple
montors, very well and /far/ better than GNOME 3 does.

GNOME 3 gives me one huge top panel, which does nothing on the right
screen, a sort of ghost of part of a panel on the bottom for
notifications, and leaves the virtual-desktop picker on my left
monitor so that it floats in the middle of my screens. It's a complete
mess on a multi-monitor system, whereas I am /far/ happier with Unity
on this setup than I ever was with GNOME 2.

> and the horrific memory leaks

No problems here. Performance and stability are excellent, as good as
any previous release - and I have run every single release of Ubuntu
there has ever been. I was watching www.no-name-yet.com before it came
out, waiting for the release.

> people not using it. The icon-based window management works great for
> home users until you open more than one of something, then you have no
> idea what is what.

It's absolutely fine for me. I routinely have 3 or more Firefox
windows, 2 or 3 terminals, Chrome, a few Pidgin windows and
LibreOffice Writer or MS Word 97 under WINE - or both. Plus VirtualBox
with a copy of TinyXP in it. All works smoothly most of the time.
VirtualBox seamless mode causes a bit of confusion at Windows shutdown
time occasionally and it took me a while to get the hang of Pidgin
having 2 main menus, depending on whether a chat window or the buddy
list have focus - but now it's fine.

> Finally, I can have my PC on for upwards of 3
> weeks, it would crash after a few days on Unity, but this machine has
> been on for about 3 weeks now with no memory or performance problems.

Never had a single Unity crash on any of my 3 machines yet.

> There is something just not quite there with Unity, I'm sure it will
> get there but the Ubuntu developers have to remember if they scare all
> their users away with very "beta" software, they will not easily come
> back. Honestly, if I hadn't already installed Ubuntu on my machine I
> would have switched to Mint, but I decided to try installing Xubuntu
> packages from the repo, haven't regretted it yet.

I'm sorry to hear you're having bad experiences, but I assure you,
they are not universal.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com