[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 14:25:29 UTC 2011

On 2 December 2011 14:11, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
> The difference with someone like Intel or Quantum is that they don't need to
> establish their brand wheras Ubuntu has a long way to go and alienating
> anyone, be it OEM, support or end user is going to cost them dearly.
<snip old replies>

Surely it has the same problem for people further down the chain?
While going through the "struggling to make a brand" thing recently
everyone else in the supply chain causes problems. Just because
they're a big name doesn't make the problem go away for others. This
is, however, just how the universe works at the moment. The only way
to change it is to become a big name yourself.

I'd also argue about Ubuntu having a long way to go with the brand.
I've seen it crop up in the national news a couple of times, and it's
in the trade mags quite frequently. It's got someway to go to get full
household recognition, but not as far as many people would think.

-Matt Daubney