[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:19:52 UTC 2011

The following page specifically details that you need a trademark license.

> http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/**trademarkpolicy<http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy>
>
> Starting at the section "Restricted use that requires a trademark licence".
>
> "If you wish to have permission for any of the uses above or for any other
> use which is not specifically referred to in this policy, please contact us
> and we'll let you know as soon as possible if your proposed use is
> permissible. Note that due to the volume of mail we receive, it may take up
> to a week to process your request. "

It also states this:

>If you have any doubt, please contact us<https://forms.canonical.com/trademark/>and a member of our trademark's team will be in touch with you shortly.
However I've been waiting since the 14th November.

>Any commercial use. OEM services<http://www.canonical.com/engineering-services/oem-services/oem-services>

I assume this is the line to which you refer, extremely frustrating as I
don't see any way to realistically market OEM installs without using the
branding in some way. I'd love to gain permission but that would require a
line of dialogue and they have made it clear they're not talking.

And yes I would love to wait for permission however I'm out there now and
if I'm not out there selling I won't make it past Wednesday before the gas
runs out and the lights go out.